Monday, September 30, 2013

Drip Drip Drip

I was working on my solar system the other day. I was pulling drawers out so I could figure the best route for my wiring when I found a wet spot way back under the kitchen cabinets.....

Well water leaks are more important than wires so I just had to tear stuff apart to fix the leaks right?

I could see the fittings at the water heater were leaking, but there was no way for me to reach in there to see if I could get away with just tightening the fitting........

Here is a chance for me to share a few things about living with my brain injury.....stress fries my brain.....I guess a way to explain it is.....if a 12 volt light bulb is running and you suddenly drain the battery down the bulb just gets dim......that is kind of what happens to me......one of the first things that happen is my vision gets real fuzzy......

We have checked my eyes out a number of times and my eyes are just fine....it's my brain just kind of gives up....

I also start to make unwise decisions.....not a good thing when your fixing things...lol!!
Any way I was clear headed just a little stressed so I sat back and relaxed before I began to tear the water heater out.....better than just trying to tighten the old fitting and breaking something!!!

Getting the water heater loose from the outside wall of the trailer was easy enough....just took it slow.

Once I got it pulled out about a foot I was able to cut out the old plumbing and things went pretty smooth.....I just had to run down to the plumber supply  store where they fixed me up with a bunch of new parts including 3 ball valves.....one of the old valves started to leak when I turned it off so replacing them all now seemed like the thing to do...

I had read it is a good thing to have a way to bypass the water heater for winterizing the trailers....this one had that.....so I did keep the 3rd valve for the bypass....you can see it in the photo I took after I had finished the repairs and had the water heater reinstalled.

 
Another handy thing I did was add two quick release connectors one on the supply line and the other on the hot water line to the trailer....next time I will not need to cut the lines....lets just hope there is never a next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment