Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My new solar system batteries and vented box




 I am having lots of fun working on a new solar system for my RV.
I have purchased six 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries from National Battery here in Ogden.


 I started  building the battery box out of some left over lumber from my days as a long haul truck driver....I still have hundreds of them.  The box bottom is scrap from last summer's remodel of our house.
Being a bit of a pack rat shows up in these photos....the metal stands for my make shift work bench are left over from some old bar stools I stole the chairs of last summer to make seats for the little buro trailer. The work bench top is an old closet door I draged home to use at yard sales.







I did run down to Lowes for some plywood for the sides and top.....mostly due to their being willing to cut the sheets.....I got lucky when I asked how many cuts they will make for free the "new guy" told me 6...really is should be 2, but it was sunday and he was new.....lol
I glued and screwed 3 sides to the base.

I made the lid and front into one piece so I could have better access to the batteries.


I found an old inverter that never worked and salvaged the 12 volt cooling fan to use as a vent for the battery box. With a little trim it fit into an old PVC elbow so I used some silicone to seal things up, added about a foot of pipe and ended up with this.




I used my hole saw to get the vent tube and wires installed, added some old paint and purchased some latches and the box was done.


Here it is installed into the RV's front storage compartment. I did have to drill 5 holes, 4 for the mounting screws and 1 big hole for the vent tube to exit under the RV. I still need to run all the cable and add a strap to hold down the batteries. I bought 7 nice 12 inch cables from National Battery today


1 comment:

  1. Hi You,

    There’s a new way to bring nearly any type of old battery back to life ...so it’s just like new again.

    This method works with nearly every type of battery out there ...and it’s simple and quick.

    >> Click here to learn this secret battery reconditioning method <<

    In case you’re wondering, you’ll be able to bring car, phone, and laptop batteries back to life with this.

    It even works with solar/off-grid, marine, golf cart, and forklift batteries. Plus, many more!

    >> Click here to learn how to bring your dead batteries back to life again <<

    With this recondition battery secret, you won’t have to buy new expensive batteries anymore. You can just recondition your old, used batteries and save a lot of money!


    And >> This new video presentation << shows you how:


    Best regards,






    .

    ReplyDelete