Tuesday, December 17, 2013

My personal connection to the Ididorod Dogsled race.

As you may know I have taken my 5th wheel trailer to Arizona for the winter due to the improvements in my health from the lower altitude and warmer weather. Cold windy days are not why I'm living hundreds of miles from loved ones.

For the last week or so I have been stuck inside resting and honestly feeling down.....I even started to think of going home, "why be here away from my family if I'm still going to be sick?" I spent hours listening to the wind attack my new just replaced due to the wind damaged awning thinking I need to go roll it up......never did roll it up as I was just too tired.

Two days ago the wind stopped and the temperature stopped dropping into the 30s, I started to feel much better so I went outside and did a few chores like gathering firewood. I spent most of the day with my fellow campers Mark, Donna, Lisa and Al who I met in Quartzsite and we all moved over here by the Parker Dam together     I have 4 neighbors who I share my awning with and they use my 5th wheel as a wind break. I overdid it a bit, but it was much better that being so sick I could hardly sit up.

Yesterday I was feeling a bit better after the days of cold windy weather so I gathered up my laundry and made a list of things to do in town. I grabbed my new book of Jack London stories so I would have something to do while I washed my cloths. I drove into Lake Havasu City and just took my time driving around for awhile getting to know the town........lots of  people with money have moved here and it is a very nice place. I bought some supplies and then did my laundry......the laundry was very difficult for me, very noisy with lots of echos and a tv turned up to volume billion trillion billion. I got in and out as fast as I could and made a few phone calls that helped me calm down. I did need to stay inside to fold my cloths and it was horable.....

I needed a rest before I could even drive the 10 miles or so to camp so I just sat outside and read the first story in my book.

Jack London is best known for his book Call of the Wild. He was an interesting person who lived a life that most writers would never live. He was born out of wedlock to a young daughter of a wealthy family, most likely she was disowned and set out into the world with no money, no husband and no way to support her and her new son......Jack grew up poor, started to work to support his family before he was 10 years old. He was drawn to the life of boats, fishing, collecting crabs and lobster. He got a boat and started stealing from the traps his employers had left out in the lakes. He became well known as a pirate and then started to sell is skills to the trappers and would help them catch the thefts who were soon robbing their traps.

Jack London wandered and tried many jobs and was always mostly broke owing money to many. He and his brother in law went to Alaska in the 1890s looking for gold during the Yukon Gold Rush and never found gold.....luckily they survived and returned to California where he began to write stories based on his experiences in Alaska.

The story I read yesterday was a short story....maybe his first....Jack London sold it for $5. It was a story about 2 men and a woman who where traveling a long distance with dogsled teams.
It is a story about carma.....one of the men, a good man, lost control of his temper and whipped his team of dogs who had gone days with no food....the group was in great danger of starving or freezing to death....as they drove under a large tree the tree broke and the tree fell onto the man and broke his back.....

I loved the way the story was written and have been thinking of getting Derrick my grand son to do a book club like activity where we read and discuss Jack London books.

I and Derrick's grandmother once had a dog who's mother had won the Ididarod race she was a great dog and I have many fun stories about her. I think if I tell Derrick some of the stories of my dog Mica he might love to read other stories about the life of Alaska dogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment