Thursday, February 21, 2013

My second day Feb.7 2013

The day started out very nice once I got the truck warmed up....

I went back into Junction, Utah for a big cup of coffee and asked what hwy 62 was like, it goes out past Kingston and if you go straight at the intersection you will be on state road 22.

Interesting little scenic drive that starts with some interesting rock formations....










This is an area where lots of hunting takes place and most of the few residents of the area, in my opinion would be real cowboys!!!!  They do lots of hunting guide work in the area as well as ranching....everyone I encountered was more than friendly.

I found an interesting old mill in a spot were water ran down a small man made ditch, but could not figure out it's purpose....after the mill I would just turn around and back track as the road was in bad shape and I saw little of interest after than till I got back to hwy 89 south of Panguitch, Utah. 





My next stop was a little swimming hole I often saw from the drivers seat of my 18 wheeler as I drove down past Coral Pink Sand Dunes toward Kanab, Utah.

side note:
My friend Tony and I once drove out to Coral Pink Sand Dunes in an old 65 Chevy motor home....one of the most exciting 3 wheeler experiences either   of us ever had I'm sure.

There is a deep winding ravine at the base of some large cliffs at the edge of the sand dunes that is used one way only at midnight.......craziest ride of my life...fast lots of turn and at time I believe we were 30 feet high going vertical one the side of the ravine.....Tony even managed to get his bike stuck up high like that when he let his bike stand up and the foot pegs and handle bars stuck into the sides.......he told me he just jerked the bike and aimed down towards the bottom and then just continued on his way.......great thing for adrenaline junkies.

Swimming hole all frozen..







Once in Knab I asked where I could go park to spend the night and be left alone...."Johnson road till the pavement ends" I was told so off I went.

I found these old buildings interesting, hope you do too;








Up the road...miles...the pavement ended and like the brave fool I can be I continued just a bit to see if there was a place to pull off.......the dirt road was unbelievable slick ( like Moab ) when wet so I off on a journey.

No place to turn around, mud every where except right in the middle of the road where the road was packed down.....I finally got turned around (barely) and got back to the spot I had been told to go....room to park  for the night.....sorry no photos!!!!

Next morning would you believe dead battery.....12 volt refrigerators kill batteries dead.....my jumper battery would not even try to turn over the Hemi......hood up jumpers hooked up and wait till someone drives by.......two nights with out cell service, no radio just camp stove and some food.....lol

When some one did come by he looked at my cables and said "looks like you need a jump. I tried to jump one of those diesels once, couldn't do it!!" and he started to go on about his way.....I chased after him and said it's not a diesel.....on the road again!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment